Do we even need wireless charging?


I have been thinking about this for so long. I feel like I need to rant a bit about it here.Wireless charging is not revolutionary! You still need to put your phone down, you still need to plug the charger. The only convenience (and downside) is not having your device physically hooked to the charger. It can be a downside because wired chargers have saved our devices from accidental falls here and there (maybe tons of times for some).Our current cable options (usb C and lighting), offer double sided connectivity, which is as convenient as it gets. You don't need to find the right way; you just plug it. Moreover, think of the fact that while plugged, one can actually use a device (despite it not being such a good thing, it is convenient when out of time, bored or in an emergency), whilst one is required to put a phone down for charging, which makes it harder to operate.I am not against things getting better bit by bit. What I can't stand is the hype around our current version of wireless charging. I own a OnePlus 6t smartphone, and the super fast charging it provides (which, last time I checked, isn't available with wireless charging) is a delight. The cable is also a beautiful red and is thick, so it has an aesthetic to it. I have never really wished to replace this for wireless capability; at least not the current one!What got me onto ranting was seeing a headline that OnePlus might finally bring wireless charging to its new device to be released this year. Why is it so celebrated?Now, you wanna hear the kind of wireless charging I would be super hyped about? Contactless wireless charging! If you do not need to put your phone down, if somehow we could keep our phone within a proximity to a source, like WiFi, then we'd be talking! Is it possible? All that we have today seemed impossible 50 years ago. We could only find out its impossibility if we actually try.PS: I can't wait to be the head of tech company! via /r/tech https://ift.tt/36LFAB9

Comments